A quick, easy Small-Batch Blueberry Chia Jam that's naturally sweetened, pectin-free, and so delicious!
Mid-late summer is such an abundant time; it's hard not to be grateful. Even though we may begin to feel the cooler weather creeping closer, it's a great time to truly soak up the long, sun-filled days and indulge in all the fresh fruits and vegetables that are ready for harvest.
Blueberries are in full swing this time of year, and while it's so delightful to enjoy them fresh, it can be a challenge to make use of them ALL. Making jam is a great way to preserve your overflowing blueberry haul and enjoy them right into the winter months. However, many traditional jam recipes contain a substantial amount of processed sugar, which can counteract the nutritional benefits blueberries have to offer. This recipe is refined sugar-free and uses chia seeds rather than pectin, providing a good dose of fibre to further reduce a blood sugar spike.
Blueberries are very high in antioxidants, especially anthocyanidins (the compound responsible for their blue colour). These powerful compounds play a vital role in our health, from reducing inflammation to protecting against cancer!
Blueberries are also low on the glycemic index, and with the extra fibre from the chia seeds, this jam is keto-friendly! It's also plant-based, gluten-free, dairy-free and damn delish!
THIS RECIPE IS...
If you try this Small-Batch Blueberry Chia Jam recipe, let me know how it turns out by leaving a comment and/or a rating below! And make sure you're following along on, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for more wildly nutritious recipes!
SMALL-BATCH BLUEBERRY CHIA JAM
- 1 cup Blueberries (preferably locak & organic)
- 1 - 2 teaspoon Maple Syrup (depending on how sweet or tart you like your jam)
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Chia Seeds
- Place blueberries in a small saucepan and cook on low for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mash the blueberries while stirring with a wooden spoon or fork.
- Once the blueberries are fully mashed and bubbling, remove from heat and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Allow to cool, then pour into a sterilized glass jar.